Wednesday 20 October 2010

7...Back in the studio

Part of my studio

Back into the studio today, but had to light the stove before I could start....its freezing! Actually, it was part delaying tactics as it is always tricky to get going when I haven't been here for a week or two, usually I clean.


Lollipop Dahlia

During the summer, I discovered some georgeous little pom pom Dahlias that looked like little lollipops. They were yellow inside and a lovely pinky red on the edges. They couldn't be more different from the huge Dahlias that I make that are as wide as my kiln and very heavy. Anyway, I fancied making some of these and putting them onto thin rod so that their heads will nod when they are placed into their wood base.


First protoype lollipop dahlia

In an earlier blog I mentioned that I was designing some cornflowers to go into a sculpture of the blue, white and red flowers of  France. I didn't have quite the right blue for the flowers so added some cobalt carb to my sky blue colour.....

oops,not quite right

......but I overdid the cobalt and although the colour is fab, the surface is not. So back to the drawing board. I also need to make the bases smaller and the blue part of the flower bigger. This is tricky as although they will look better, it can make them prone to topple over in the kiln. Well, we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment