Monday 28 March 2011

27...Working....working and carnage in the kitchen

With so many shows coming up, work in the studio is full on at the moment, there is hardly time for anything else. Last week I sold a large sculpture that I had earmarked for the Chelsea Flower show, so I had to squeeze in time to make another.....luckily with Jade my student here I was able to do this.
putting last petal in

Ceramics is a slow old business. The sculpture above will take weeks to dry out as the moisture in the middle and underneath takes a long time to come out  and can't be rushed. This means that the studio is full of drying out sculptures covered in plastic and we have to be careful how we move around as they are so delicate at this stage.


One of the things about living in the country is the continual battle against the wildlife trying to get into the house. Last week it was this little fellow,
carnage in the kitchen
he got into my mouseproof cupboard in the middle of the night...found his way along a pipe under the insulation. Then he gnawed through several boxes and packets before eating his way into a bag of walnuts, taking them out one by one and piling them up in a corner. Of course he hadn't figured out how he was going to get them back along the pipe. This went on for hours...but I couldn't do a thing about it as I am terrified of them...don't even like looking at them (they run up your trouser legs or go for your eyes!)  Anyway Jade caught him the next day and got rid of him in the woods...now we have to re proof the cupboard and the traps are set in case he sends his mates along.



I couldn't resist another picture of the woods. At this time of the year everything is manageable in the garden and I can just look around and enjoy it. However all the trees are covered in their green fuzz of buds about to burst open and soon the bushcutter will have to come out for the first time. But for this moment I can just bask in the sun and the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment