Monday 25 April 2011

31...Almost there and Spooky Bears

Side view of new lime green pom pom
May is now almost upon me, and I haven't time to make another thing....I'm completely potted out. However, I am now finishing off and glazing all the work, and the kiln is on all the time...even (eek!) during the day when it is not cheap electricity. I have lost a couple of things along the way...mainly because the weather has been so extrodinarily hot that one or two bits dried out too quickly. I only have time now for 2 more glaze firings before I have to pack everything up and bring it over to Brighton. The set up for the Open Houses is next weekend, and then I have to finish off all the work for the Chelsea Flower Show.

Still, it hasn't been all work this weekend. My friend Chris who is also a ceramicist ( http://www.chrismurphy-ceramics.com/) has been over here for a few days to help me out with glazing etc, and on friday we drove over to Veules les Roses for the day.

This is a lovely town on the coast with the smallest river in France...just 1100 metres. It is famous for its watercress which you can see growing here.
Just before you come into the town, there is this house with two life size bears outside.

Chris being a bear himself couldn't resist checking them out. This house also has mosiac over all the planters outside, and all around the front door,


 What a lovely, cosy looking cottage, you think to yourself......but then you notice,
Spooky bear
this bear has got REAL teeth!  I kid you not.

Needing some excercise and making the most of the georgeous weather, H and I headed off for a cycle ride on sunday. It is bliss cycling around here, the roads are so quiet, and the french drivers so courteous to cyclists.
The views are.....interesting

Le Quesnay
and the houses splendid. Actually, I lived and worked in this Chateau a long time ago when I was but a young girl.

collecting Chicken of the woods
and on the way home, we found this great profusion of funghi which is delicious cooked in butter...dinner sorted!

No comments:

Post a Comment