Sunday 5 June 2011

40...Poppies in Portobello

 On a trip to see friends and godchildren in Portobello nr Edinburgh this week and we went to a hidden gem of a garden called Dr Neils. It is hidden away at the foot of Arthur's seat, is free to enter, and amazingly has a glazed shed with kettle, books, childrens activities and armchairs so that you can make yourself a cuppa, sit down and enjoy the view. Not even a donation asked for...how brilliant is that! It is also the home of curling (as in the sport) as the large loch and goose sanctuary here often freezes in the winter.
 Wandering around we saw these lovely Poppies, and it doesn't matter how many times I represent Poppies in my work, I still find them incredibly exciting and always want to find a new way of showing their drama and general gorgeousness. These ones gave me an idea for a new sculpture straight away.




Mika and Kiku spent a happy hour making lovely pictures with all the bits and bobs in the shed especially for the kids.
and then made me a lovely daisy chain....I wonder how many hundreds/thousands of years children have been doing this?



 

Going out for a drink in the evening and the sun still hadn't set gone 9.30pm. The hot evening had the Portobello beach, all sand and situated by the Firth of Forth, packed with people enjoying a bottle of wine and a crate (or three!) of beer. Strangely for me the sun sets on the left up here, whereas in Brighton it sets on the right, so I always feel a bit back to front.

No comments:

Post a Comment