Sunday 4 September 2011

53...Channel Hopping

Lollipop PomPoms
This week has been back and forth across the channel. To France last Tuesday to pick all the veg in the garden and to start on a new commision, back to Brighton Friday night to steward at Firle on Saturday and at the Sussex Prairie Gardens on Sunday and back to France tomorrow,  Monday morning, where my studio and a work experience student await.
Bells of Ireland
The Plant and Art Fair at the Prairie Gardens was a great success, even though the heavens opened mid day. There were several thousand visitors most of whom seemed to be staggering around with bags full of grasses or other plants which they had bought from one of the stall holders. When the rain came the barn which had been set up as a covered eating area with straw bales to sit on, was suddenly full of people munching on the lovely home made cakes from the tea rooms.
Pink Tip Angel
I have really enjoyed having my sculptures on show in these gardens, the planting is very special and my forms work well tucked in amongst all the plants. They will still be on show until mid October.

Meanwhile in the French garden the fruit and veg are all ripening early this year. I am already storing apples and pears in the cellar and the garden is full of the sweet perfumed scent of ripening Quinces, it is such a beautiful smell. I am eating beans twice a day, freezing and pickling them. The Squashes are threatening to take over the garden and there are Strawberries every morning for my porridge. It is very satisfying although there is also a slight sense of panic as I try to bottle and store everything as I hate to let anything go to waste.
Giant Puffball
The mushrooms are all coming up early this year too. I have found some Boletus in the garden where I haven't found any before, and these giant puffballs are popping up all over the place. They are edible but huge, and you get fed up eating them pretty quickly. It's a pity these can't be stored......

No comments:

Post a Comment