Monday 29 August 2011

52...Ealing Riots, a Wedding Cake and a village lost in time


I came back to Brighton this week to find out that this lovely gallery where I show my work had all it's windows and door smashed during the Ealing riots. It was even captured on video  Ealing Riots
However the paintings that were taken by looters were recovered by neighbours and an Asian man who presumably lived locally, stood guard at the door and protected the gallery until the police were able to arrive. I know the gallery owners are trying to find and thank him. Unfortunately  my sculptures were in the windows and there has been some damage but happily the gallery is insured. Some buildings near by were burnt out. I'm so glad that didn't happen here as it would have been awful if the lovely work in here had been destroyed.

On a happier note my brother got married this weekend, and we all had tea and cakes at the Grand Hotel in Brighton. It was a lovely wedding and they put a lot of effort in making sure that everyone had a good time.

Calvados cake with sugarpaste teapot, cups and saucers
I offered to make the cake for them as it is what I did for a living years ago and in fact is where I learnt the modeling skills I now employ in my ceramics. However, it has been such a looooong time since I last made such an important cake and I have to say clay is a much easier medium! But we got there in the end with help from my friend Jane who is an artist  and painted the lovely roses onto the sugar.

A lovely idea at the wedding was a photo booth in which we all had our mug shots taken and then pasted the photo into a large album as a reminder of the wedding.

Ralph, Jane, Fran, Henry and Roy
Ok, very silly but great fun, and at least the photographer (Roy) got his photo taken.

Little Halland
For the next three weekends I am showing my work in the Lewes Art Wave. I am actually in Firle at Little Talland in The Street. It is a lovely house with 16 artists showing their work, so if you get a chance pop along...it is open 12 -5pm every weekend.
The Street, Firle
Firle itself is a village of horses, dogs and 50's fashion, well at least is was today, the day of the Firle Fete. This is an event which includes sheep racing, rat splatting (?!) and a competition for the dog with the waggliest tail.

Lovely 50's ladies
.....and what a great fashion sense the ladies have here.  The lady on the right is Vanessa who runs Kissy Suzuki and whose Open House it is...for a peek at her retro style check this out...www.kissysuzuki.com

Next weekend I will also be showing at the Unusual Plant sale and Art Fair at Sussex Prairie Gardens. I will be there all day Sunday, come and say hello.  www.sussexprairies.co.uk

 Find me now over at http://theceramicgardener.com

No comments:

Post a Comment