Sunday 16 October 2011

59...Mushroom season and help in the garden

Destroying Angel
This weekend we have been out in the local forest foraging for mushrooms. We took some friends with us and made sure they knew the fatal mushrooms (above) to avoid before looking for edibles. There are 3 main mushrooms to avoid, all part of the same family (Amanita) and called the Death Cap, Destroying Angel and the Citrina. Even eating a small amount can kill you......slowly...over about 6 days, so it's good to know which these are right at the beginning.

Cleaning mushrooms for lunch

It is a little dry at the moment for a really good crop of mushrooms, a few days of rain will bring them all up, but nevertheless, we found a large amount of Trompettes de la morte and a few others to add to the mix.

A couple of weeks ago I joined another website called Workaway, which is a site for people looking to work around the world in exchange for food and accomodation. I always need help in the garden so posted a profile, and this week my first helper arrived,

Teal
This is Teal, she is from New York state and has been working on a farm in Belgium, and is now helping to get my garden into order. She arrived with a guitar and a great singing voice, so there are strains of music drifting in from the bathroom or garden as she works...lovely! Another lady arrives on tuesday...with a little dog she has rescued in Greece so at this rate I will have a show garden in no time. What a great scheme.

Blue seedcase
Three new sculptures out of the kiln in the last couple of weeks,

Green seedcase

These two are destined for the new Affordable Art Fair in Hampstead at the end of the month. If anyone would like to go, please contact me through my website  www.francesdoherty.co.uk

Spidery Poppy

This one is one of a new range that are designed to go on the wall. The next one I am going to make will be based on the Echinacea 'Green Jewel'....it has the most gorgeous centre, I'm looking forward to constructing that one, once I've got the long list of sculptures made that are being waited on.

Oh I musn't forget.....Hi to Ryans dad Mike who I've been told reads my blog from across the pond in Americay.....How you doing?!

No comments:

Post a Comment