Friday 24 September 2010

2...Cornflowers


This morning I woke to find a beautiful moon shining through my window surrounded by dark rain clouds. Outside my window is a huge Beech tree on the left and an Ash on the right, its like my room is a tree house. I have my cuppa in the morning watching the birds and red squirrels run along the branches of the Ash.


Today I have been working on Cornflowers. They were a tricky little flower to design, but I've been wanting to make a sculpture for a while based on the blue, white and red flowers of France, the Poppy, Margueritte and the Cornflower. They are so iconic here. Not only do you see them growing at the edge of fields, but they are built into illustration everywhere where they want to depict a Frenchness....on the paper wrapping of baguettes, on beer bottle labels etc.


I already have Poppies and Marguerittes from previous sculptures but this one took a bit more thinking out. I've got there now, and just have to try to make up a blue that will do it justice. I'm trying to get these finished in time for the Palace Art fair, which means that I will have to get them dried super quick then glazed and in for a single firing by next wednesday....


view out towards the south west from my studio

The weather has been dramatic today. Heavy showers chasing warm sun. The garden is lush and green, but everything is just on the cusp of falling into autumn.

Looking out to my vegetable garden, I can see the sweetcorn that now needs to be pulled out and the ripening grapes with my scarecrow lurking behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment