Tuesday 21 September 2010

1...A First Blog

Well, moving on into the blogging age, and after  encouragement from some clients who were interested in my double life, I've decided to set up an account of how, where and why I work. Never having been a very reliable journal keeper, it will be interesting to see if this fares better, but it is a good way of collecting my thoughts and recording my work processes.
My studio is in Normandie, I moved there a few years ago when rents were rising on the studios that I ran in Hove, and my work was getting larger. I have a house and large garden there that was being under used, and we were never able to keep on top of the gardening, so it made sense to be there on a permanent basis as I had lived there on and off for over 30 years.
We had chosen a house that could be easily reached from Brighton, and to atone for the fact that I have a kiln (being a bit of a greenie) I now cycle to and fro on a regular basis.
It sounds idylic, and sometimes it is, but it also requires me to be physically strong. Our heating, water and cooking is run by a woodfired Rayburn....the wood coming from our garden. Life has to be extremely organised to keep both the studio and the house warm enough to work in as our winters in Normandie can get very cold. So, I'm up in the studio first thing in the morning to light the stove, and then I have breakfast while it warms up and the smoke clears (its an old Godin). Then with my trusty companion Radio 4 LW, I work through until 3 or 4 oclock and then its off to prepare wood for the rest of the day and tomorrow. Chip Chop!....I couldn't be without an axe these days. A bad day is one where the rain has set in and there is cricket on the radio...I pray for rain at Lords. A good one has a bit of sunshine, some new ideas on the go and a successful glaze firing.
The garden is a constant source of inspiration to me, and as I learn more about planting and growing, I find more and more to excite me. From one of my studio windows I can watch my vegetable garden grow, and from the other, looking towards the south west I watch the seasons change.........
This weekend I have been at the Brighton Art Fair, which was as much fun as usual, lovely people showing and a very well organised affair. I sold well and am nipping back to france tomorrow to finish off a sculpture or two for the next Art fair which is being run by the same people and promises to be a good show. It's being held at Fulham Palace by Putney bridge. http://www.palaceartfair.co.uk/

2 comments:

  1. Whoop whoop! Delighted you've taken the plunge - looking forward to keeping up with all your news xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to say how beautiful your work is & how delighted I am with my rabbit eared lavender that you kindly gave me today!
    Best regards
    Carol Boyle (Brighton)

    ReplyDelete