Saturday 27 November 2010

12...A week in November

November view from studio with snow
 Rushed headlong into winter this week and had the first snowfall of the year, alternating with hailstones. Am keeping two woodburners going at any one time which means keeping on top of the kindling, sawing and chopping. I go to bed with 2 hot water bottles, then in the morning I force myself out of bed, run up to the studio to light the fire there, back to the kitchen to relight the Rayburn, then back to bed for a cuppa while it is all warming up. Then a big bowl of porridge to keep me warm. By the time I go back up to the studio, the smoke has cleared and it is warming up nicely.

Nearly full kiln
Managed to fill a kiln this week with some new ideas. There are a couple of galleries waiting for work and they want if before christmas, but ceramics are a slow old business and difficult to rush. The beauty of firing the kiln in the winter is being able to sit in a toasty warm studio the next day in a teashirt...its like being in a warm bath.

Divernet....Salon du Thé

Back to Brighton for the weekend to see the Open Houses in Firle. Two of the artists who are showing there will be in my Open House next may, follow this link for a peek....(http://www.kissysuzuki.com/page9.htm). Because the weather was so horrible, I took the train to Dieppe instead of cycling, and went to my favourite teashop there.

Macaroons and other wondrous cakes



The teashop part is upstairs. You choose a cake downstairs (always a Florentine for me), then go upstairs for a Lapsang and to watch the world go by. If you ever go to Dieppe this Patissiere is a must. The cakes are flights of fancy, and unlike most french cakes, are not hiding a custard middle!

No comments:

Post a Comment