Friday 5 August 2011

47...Poppy Poems

Back in Brighton this week as I have a very important wedding cake to make and I haven't made one for years. The kitchen has been full of fruit mixture soaking in Calvodos and the smell of slow cooking cake, marzipan and sugerpaste. It's what I used to do all the time, but I have to say, clay is easier!
I also came back for a Private View at Sussex Prairie Gardens where several of us are showing our sculptures throughout the summer.
swaying Poppies
I bought back my new Poppy Poems from France. They were inspired by a poem from Francis Thompson called The Poppy. He was a brilliant poet but suffered most of his life from ill health and opium addiction. His poem is beautiful but dark...I really like it.
 a line from The Poppy
Inside each Poppy is a line from his poem almost hidden in the glaze. I decided to make these Poppies very simple and stylized, as the Poppy is such an iconic flower, it needs no more than a few lines to describe it.
Pauline from Sussex Gardens put on a lovely PV and it was a great evening. Here are some of the other artists who will be showing their work at the Unusual Plant sale and Art fair which will be held at the beginning of September.
For details please check out   www.sussexprairiegardens.co.uk

Meanwhile I am off to a music festival and then off cycling in Calvodos...see you in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment